Chattanooga, Tenn. – March 18, 2021 – For many, the working world changed a year ago in March, but for Chattanooga Gas employees, the commitment to deliver clean safe, reliable and affordable natural gas never stopped. Utility workers are essential personnel and whether in the field or office, Chattanooga Gas employees continued to fuel customers’ homes and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nearly 60% of employees across the Southern Company Gas enterprise, including those working at Chattanooga Gas, have continued to report to work in a variety of first responder and field positions, while the remaining 40% of personnel have continued to work remotely until further notice, including 87% of customer contact center representatives. There were no company workforce reductions during the pandemic for Chattanooga Gas employees who worked diligently during the pandemic to deliver safe and reliable natural gas.
“In more ways than one, this past year was a reflection of resilience in the face of crisis as we all navigated through the impacts of COVID-19,” said Pedro Cherry, president and CEO of Chattanooga Gas. “Across the nation, utility workers adjusted to new guidelines to continue safely serving customers, but their work never stopped. Their perseverance and flexibility to respond to increased demands is worthy of recognition on Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day.”
Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day is organized annually by the American Public Gas Association to recognize the employees who work to ensure the essential energy source is distributed safely.
Field employees across all Southern Company Gas local distribution companies, including Chattanooga Gas, completed more than 1.7 million service and emergency work orders in the past year, some of which required the entry of homes and businesses with customers who were COVID-19 suspected or confirmed. COVID-19 job aids and other supplemental materials, as well as PPE including gloves, masks and sanitizer, were acquired to keep employees, customers and communities safe.
While Chattanooga Gas continued to help minimize community health impacts, it also addressed economic hardships in the communities it serves by providing more than $50,000 to COVID-19 relief efforts to help address food insecurity and provide essential services and financial assistance to residents. A portion of this funding was also given to the Tornado Relief Fund, operated by the United Way of Chattanooga and the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga, to assist victims affected by the April 12, 2020 tornado that hit the region.
Additional resources extended to customers in need through our employees’ generosity and corporate partnerships include:
“We have lived with the realities of COVID-19 for over a year now,” Cherry said. “As challenging as the experience has been, Chattanooga Gas remains dedicated to continuing our longstanding commitment to meeting the needs of our customers and communities.”
For information visit chattanoogagas.com/together.
Chattanooga Gas is one of seven natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Chattanooga Gas provides retail natural gas sales and transportation services to approximately 68,000 customers in Hamilton and Bradley counties in southeast Tennessee. The Chattanooga Gas service area includes the communities of Chattanooga, Cleveland, Red Bank, East Ridge, Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain. For more information, visit chattanoogagas.com.
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.3 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in four states with approximately 631,000 retail customers through its companies that market natural gas. Other nonutility businesses include investments in interstate pipelines, asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit southerncompanygas.com.
Mobile: 404-387-8067 | firstname.lastname@example.org